Saturday, March 3, 2012

I wanted to write about a sense of belonging, but now that I thought about it, gratitude would be a better title for this blog post. Its going to be short and simple. 
Returning home by train, I came across many of my high school's alumnus who were returning back to my school for a game basketball. It dawned upon me that they return on a weekly basis several years after graduating from the school. They have not forgotten about their team members and made an effort to meet up and enjoy the good old days where they had back in school. Nobody could compare the bond they had with their team members to the bond these alumnus had. It is of no surprise my school's basketball team is among the strongest in the nation.

In Singapore, performers on the streets are rare. Despite my disappointment with the nation's attitude towards these unconventional jobs, I've grown to accept that nothing could be changed overnight. Nationwide, people are still blindly trying to further their education without a goal and even without knowing what they want to become, ultimately working for any company which can pay them and taking up mundane jobs which they do not enjoy. My country is young, sports and arts are just becoming more popular among students who choose to take up a different route in life. I am fortunate to have a performer around my neighbourhood and on board the train, I met him. As a singer, he was travelling alone to another place to perform and I witnessed him struggling with his equipment (speakers, microphones) as he scrambled off with the crowd and alighted at another station from mine. His work sets him constantly on the move, constantly singing for people and honestly I do not see him earning much revenue from performing. Having spoken to him, his fluent speech and polite mannerism would easily earn him a place in a company enjoying more financial stability than he has now, but until today he never did quit on his job.

We should appreciate the things around us which brightens our life and never forget the people who had once been by our side. For without them, you would never had grown into a better person (regardless of how much or how little growth there is) and your life would inevitably become more dull than it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment